Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Opening Volley

Hello, and welcome.

I am a Civil War enthusiast and amateur historian. I am also a Southerner, born and bred. It is no small task to announce that and NOT be profiled and prejudged. I'm from Alabama. I was born in Walker County in 1961. I have lived virtually my entire life in Alabama. To most folks outside the south that means certain things:
  • I am probably ignorant;
  • It is doubtful that I have a high school diploma;
  • I probably have some inbreeding in my family;
  • I am a racist;
  • I would restart slavery and the Civil War tomorrow if I knew how.
Not everyone outside the south holds those opinions, but they are commonly held. It gets worse, though.

You see, I am a thinking man. I don't open wide for the spoonful of vanilla truth that passes for history in public schools today. I KNOW the Civil War was not about slavery. Abraham Lincoln, the Great Emancipator, was a bigger RACIST than I am. Racism and bigotry are not the exclusive province of the Deep South.

With this blog, I want to put the truth out in the air. If somebody's eyes are opened, good. If not, well, all I can do is put the truth about the history of the Civil War in front of you. You are free to do with the information as you please.

Thanks for coming out.

PS> I'm not ignorant. I graduated high school in 1980. There is no inbreeding in my family. I am a racist, but we all are to some degree. I believe mine is at a minimum. As for slavery and the war: no one in my family ever owned a slave. I find the institution deplorable. As for the war, in a sense that's what this blog is. So, keep your head down and your powder dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment